Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wedding Time for William Part 2

One of the things with any wedding is the logistics...getting everyone where they need to be and on tie. Add the fact that you're doing it not from your home but from a hotel makes it a bit more complicated.

Grady left early to get William and his best man to the temple. Grady asked that I help get the troops on the road so I worked toward that end. With everything there is a human element so we had some human elements, but we got to the temple in good time. It really was one of those cases of hurry up and wait. Which we did.

It was nice to have had the dinner the night before so those of us that hadn't met Heather's family could get to meet them. It made it much nicer that morning as we were waiting...we knew who each other were.

Marla is one of the bravest women I know. She has had significant health issues for years and isn't really ambulatory unless she's supported by a walker. Since it was going to be a long day (and a long night) she was in a wheelchair. We were grateful for blue skies. And though it was cold (30's) it wasn't bitterly cold as it had been a few days before the wedding. Grady was very solicitous of her comfort and tried to keep her as warm as possible. She was so happy to be able to be at her son's wedding.

The officiator (sealer) for William and Heather did a wonderful job. He was funny and sincere. His counsel was for them and for us. He admonished William and Heather to squeeze (hug)each other often, to hold hands and to cuddle. I should have written sooner as I can't remember everything that he said anymore, but I know it made me think that I should be better at letting my husband know just how important he is to me.

After we all congratulated the bridal couple it was time for pictures. As Heather's family needed to get back to the church to finish getting ready for the reception, they did their group pictures first. Then it was our family's turn. Then it was time for the the bridal party, and then finally the bride and groom.

We left as soon as we could and had a late lunch at Applebee's. (Thanks Bro for paying for mine). Then we had time for a quick rest before we left for the reception. We wanted to get there early to help and so Phillip, James and I did. Grady, Marla, MJ and baby Weston got there right when the reception started which worked out well.

Highlights of the Wedding Reception for me included:
My nephew James teaching me a new dance step
Dancing with baby Weston (He's very light on his feet)
Dancing with my brother
A poignant few moments where Marla got out of her wheelchair and was able to dance with her son, the groom. You knew that she was hurting-her feet are twisted and she's always in pain-but she was able to dance with her son on his special day. I cried then (I was dancing with baby Weston so it was easier to mask my tears) and I'm tearing up now remembering it.
A very funny moment when William was welcomed into the family by being tricked into thinking he was touching Heather's leg to take off the garter (they had said it's a family tradition to have the groom close his eyes while he takes off the garter) and then watching William recoil with shock when Heather's uncle switched places with her and William touched his leg. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
Getting to meet some of Marla's family that I had heard of over the years but had never met

At the end of the reception we all went out to see them off. Since William is legally blind, Heather drove them off into the sunset. Grady took Marla, Marjory and the baby back to the hotel right after this. Phillip, James and I stayed a bit to help with the clean-up.

Sunday morning Marla's brother took me to the airport since he and his son were leaving that morning too. I had an uneventful trip home and was very pleased to see that Paintapalooza Part 2 (the guest bedroom/office) was NOT vibrant after all, but a lovely soft yellow color. I was exhausted but happy that I could be there to represent our family.

NS

No comments: