Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wedding Time for William and Paintapalooza Part 2

That first week of January was very busy indeed. Between Paintapalooza, shopping trips, sightseeing trips, whew...Then it was time for me to head to Denver for my nephew William's wedding. I'd been teasing my brother and family by saying, Denver in January?!? William's wife-to-be Heather desired a winter wedding so that's what they had. But I still would say to all that would listen: "Yeah I know you want a winter wedding; but Denver in January?"

Smooth sailing (flying) on my plane ride and I met up with my nephew James (he'd flown over from Salt Lake City) at Baggage Claim and then my brother and nephew Phillip as we played the divide and conquer strategy-Phillip drove one car, James another and then Grady and I rented a car (later to be used by William and Heather for their honeymoon trip).

We checked into the hotel, headed to the church and we hit the floor running. I had offered to do the groom's pre-wedding dinner as Grady's wife has significant health issues (more on that later). Heather's family and extended family were there decorating half of the cultural hall. Grady and I started setting up the half we'd be using for the dinner. I had brought with me the table runners I'd made for Melinda and Landan's wedding to use for table decorations. Grady and Marla rented other items we needed for decoration (tablecloths) and dinner (roasters).

I had hoped to go to Costco with Grady since he doesn't have a Costco card to get the last minute items that he couldn't get from the Base BX; but it took us longer to get the rental car and check in at the hotel so I sent him alone and he's now a Costco member. I used the time getting the chicken ready to go and setting the table. As soon as James got there he helped and Heather and William did too.

to be continued...

Paintapalooza Part 2
After I arrived safely in Denver, I called Michael and let him know. He let me know that he and Carynn had gone to Home Depot to get the paint for the guest bedroom/office area. He also made sure to tell me that they had picked a VIBRANT color. According to Michael he helped with the painting. According to Carynn-Michael did the prep work and Carynn did the painting. I was a bit anxious to see the color.

Back to the wedding
I had determined to do the same menu that my friend Joann and I had devised for the Abrams groom's dinner. This is Parmesan Chicken, baby carrots, mixed salad with dressing, Costco rolls and Costco cheesecake. For drinks we did Countrytime Lemonade with Lemon Lime. We had planned for 50-60 people. Unfortunately the kids were WAY off on their count and we had 30 people. We therefore had no issues with enough food, that's for sure.

I'd like to say that we pulled it off without any hitches, but there were a few. Not to go into a lot of detail...Let's just say that the Alpha Female from the bride's family and the Alpha Female (Me) from the Groom's family decided that it might be better if we didn't share the same space at the same time. We played "nice" (well most of the time), but I doubt that I'll be on her Christmas card list....

My brother's children were champs! They pitched in and did all that was asked of them and more that evening. I can't say enough about how helpful they were and how good it was to spend some time with them. Heather's uncles were helpful with clean-up (They were also baking the wedding cake at the same time) so that helped us get out of there at a decent time. We were back at the hotel by 10:00 PM.

I was very pleased to see that I had brought bubble bath with me and I took advantage of the tub for a good soak. I finished a book, said my prayers and set my alarm for 7:00 AM.

More later-

NS

No comments: