Sunday, February 14, 2010

PAINTAPALOOZA -the Saga Finally Ends

I determined to paint the laundry room after Carynn, Jamie and Ty left and while Michael was in Seattle to speak at the funeral of his former boss. The prep work took me longer than the painting! I did finally finish later Tuesday night.

I had also decided to make the corner sink/vanity a focal point instead of a sore thumb. It wasn't that it was ugly, but it did not match the original cabinetry and as I knew that there was really no way I could get it to look like the original cabinets I chose to paint it a glorious blue. I started this on Wednesday and it was a process, that's for sure. I ended up doing the final touches on Thursday and then as it was TOO glorious of a blue, I muted it a bit with some Olde English Scratch Cover. It dulled it just enough to give it a distressed look. I ditched the old handles and found some simpler ones at Home Depot (of course) for $1.69 each.

The piece de resistance was my Van Gogh. Yes, I now have a Van Gogh. I admit it was another DI find. It's actually a "composition" piece. The print itself was in an ugly gold frame. The frame that I wanted to put it in had an ugly print in it, but a great mat, so presto changeo-ugly print covered up and ugly frame donated back to DI. There was only one small problem... as I was putting it al back together, I didn't realize my own strength and broke the glass. It was also unfortunate that it wasn't a small break. Michael was very kind and while we were out, we stopped at a glass place. The nice man there priced me out a bargain on the glass, cut the broken glass into two pieces so I could salvage them as tops to protect my end tables AND even installed the glass in the frame for me. I'll definitely recommend them to anyone that needs glass or windows. Grand total for my print was going to be $6.00, with the glass replacement (including tax), it's closer to $24.00. Still not bad for a 24" x 30" piece of art.

The only room left to paint is the garage and I'm not touching it!

NS

No comments: