Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pockets

Ty has discovered pockets. I was speaking with Carynn a week or so ago and she handed the phone to Ty. He told me something which I couldn't quite understand. Carynn translated for me and told me he was telling me about what was in his pockets.

I witnessed this firsthand when we flew back home and Carynn and Ty picked us up at the airport. I was sitting in front with Carynn. Michael was in the back seat near Ty. I asked Ty to see what was in his pockets. He carefully reached his hand into his left pants pocket and pulled it out tightly closed. I asked him if I could see what was in his hand. He opened it up and I saw two crinkled, partly dried plant leaves and a mangled sticker. I asked him if I could hold them. He put them into my outstretched hand. I examined the pretty leaves and looked at the sticker that was not as mangled as I had originally thought. On the sticker were two cartoon bees. I thanked Ty for letting me look at everything and then returned the leaves and sticker to him. He put them back in his pocket. I asked to see what was in his other pocket. He pulled out a Target receipt that his mom had given him, showed it to me and put it back in his pocket.

Fast forward a few days later to our home. Everyone is downstairs and Ty is playing in the toy cupboard. Remembering his fondness for Duplos/Legos I pull ours out from a shelf and Ty and I start playing with them. He began to put his favorites into his pockets. I laughed and allowed him to do that. We even went upstairs (where Papa was watching the Olympics) and showed him Ty's treasures (Legos). Back downstairs and more play time. When it was time to clean up I expected Ty to try to take the Legos home, but no, he pulled them from his jacket AND pants pockets and put them away.

Fast forward to a day later...Carynn, Ty and I are out on a lunching expedition. Ty is happy because not only does he have on pants with pockets but a jacket with pockets too. He's concerned because he can only get his hand into his left side jacket pocket. I help him find his right side jacket pocket and he beams happily. At the Mexican restaurant he tries unsuccessfully to fit the crayon bucket the restaurant provided for distraction purposes into his pocket, but it does not fit. He makes do by using the chip basket and placing his favorite things in it-a sort of basket pocket.

I think I'm going to have to add some pockets to his quiet book.

NS

No comments: