Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In and out of the cupboards

I was reviewing my notes from Carynn and Ty's visit in January and noticed I forgot to write about some of Ty's cute antics. Here's the first one:
We had gone to the hospital lab for Michael to have his weekly blood test (nothing shattering, just getting ready for his procedure). We hoped it would be a short visit, but unfortunately there was a bit of red tape and some waiting. Ty decided to do some investigating in the waiting room. His mom had her eye on him the whole time, I was helping with the red tape so I didn't see the first time that he discovered that the cupboard in the waiting area was not only open, it was empty and just the right size for a two year old to fit in. He had a good time shutting himself in and out of the cupboard.

Later at home, Ty was with me in the kitchen. We had Ty proofed the house as best we could. I deliberately don't put child locks on pots and pans as I feel it's healthy for a child (children) to have an "okay to get into" cupboard. Ty's discovery with our pots and pans cupboard was that the shelf was a rolling shelf that held the pans. He had pulled out the pans on the right side and climbed in. He would slide himself in and out, pulling the door closed or pushing it open with his feet.

As he seemed to be enjoying himself, I gave him a juice box, some of his snacks and a few of his toys. He gladly took those from me and then shut himself back in the cupboard. He would then delightedly repeat the process all over again.

It kind of reminded me of the movie, "A Christmas Story" when Ralphie's little brother Randy closes himself in the cupboard underneath the sink and the mom opens up the cupboard to give him his milk and cookies. While Randy (in the movie) was worried about how his dad would react to Ralphie's latest scrape with the bullies and his broken eye glasses, Ty's voluntary incarceration was all about the fun.

Discovering delight in small things,

NS

No comments: