Thursday, November 12, 2009

Old Friends

I had the opportunity last week for a quick get-a-way. One of my friends, who lives in the Portland-Vancouver area, and I have been trying to have a good visit for nearly a year. That's how long she and her husband have been back from their three year church mission. We had seen each other briefly when I stopped to change planes in Portland, Oregon last winter which was nice, but not nearly long enough.

We used the occasion of their moving into their new (to them) home over the summer and needing some "help" fine tuning before the holidays as our "reason" for my visit. It was so wonderful to spend some time with her and to help her out a bit too. I've known their family for over twenty years and have been her friend for at least twenty years. Don't get me wrong, I did work my buns off (which they needed and still do-but that's another story) but it was so nice to jump right back in to that easy comradeship that we've always had.

I was also able to re-connect with another of my friends. I've known her nearly as long as my aforementioned friend. We stood at the bus stop together with our then kindergarteners. That particular kindergartener is now 25. My friend has had her share of trials and challenges. Her character is "true at all times" and though she does not share my faith, she has a strong sense of faith. This has helped her particularly over the past year with her mother's failing health. We had salsa with chips (always a favorite of mine) and spent a happy evening. She texted me after I got back home to let me know that her mother had finally passed away. I do not mean to be insensitive, but her mother had been in hospice care for eight months. I am sad for my friend, but grateful that her mother has finally completed her earthly test. I would say that my friend has definitely passed the test as well as she has remained a dutiful, caring daughter during this trying time.

I still remember the round we used to sing in Girl Scouts. It went, "Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold." I didn't learn the rest of the song until I was older, but I like it just as well. It goes, "A circle is round. It has no end. That's how long I want to be your friend."

Friends are a blessing, and we can be a blessing to our friends.

NS

No comments: