Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Transitions

Transitions...that's the word for the day since it applies to so much that's going on in all of our lives. Examples:
Ty (10 months old!) is transitioning from crawling to walking, from unintelligible sounds to actual words, from being spoon fed to feeding himself, his list just goes on and on.
Melinda's transitioning to a new school, new friends and life away from home.
Bret's transitioning from college graduate to job seeker.
Michael and I are transitioning into "empty nesters," with all the changes that brings into a relationship and our home.
Everyone has their own personal list regarding transitions; I'm not just talking family either. Some of my friends are transitioning to having a son on a mission, children getting married, children starting school. There's new homes, new relationships, failed relationships, divorces, births, deaths, the list just goes on and on.

Some of my transitions lately have been accompanied by tears: tears of happiness, tears of sadness, tears because of change. You're allowed to cry when you're a mom. (It's in the rulebook, check if you don't believe me.) So what I'm trying to do is to not deny the tears, but to accept them and then square my shoulders (mentally and physically) and look ahead. I'm thankful for all the blessings that are mine. I'm striving to be thankful for all those transitions too.

NS

No comments: