Saturday, March 21, 2009

Silver and Gold

When I was in Girl Scouts many, many years ago we learned a song that we sang as a round:
Make new friends, but keep the old.
One is silver and the other's gold.
Later I learned the other verse:
A circle is round. It has no end.
That's how long I want to be your friend.

That's been my experience in Southern Utah. I have missed the close association with our family and my friends in the Northwest, but have enjoyed my season and forming friendships here in "Dixie." I'll probably miss some names and hope they may forgive me if they come across this message, but there's Fred and Barb; Sue and Ron, Marie and Jim, Sharon and her husband Richard, (who is not to be confused with their dog, Jack, that's an inside joke); the wonderful and yes, classy ladies at water aerobics (you know who you are) where we solved the world's problems while toning our bodies to the disembodied voice of the super cheerful lady on the cassette tape; the marvelous individuals with incredible stories I met and grew to care for while working on Humanitarian projects; near neighbors Alan and Charlotte, Marilyn, Joyce, Cathy and Jerry; new friends from church including Nancy, Pearl and Salty, Loraine, Brent and Diane, the Garners, the Sorensens, Ann R. Then there's my "phone buddies" Jim, Brother Scott and Joel. I accepted the temporary assignment of calling them on a daily basis to make sure that they were alive and kicking-they live alone. Brother Scott would always answer when I asked him how he was doing, "I'm still movin'." Thanks Nancy for asking me to do that. Getting to speak to those gentlemen has enriched my life, helped me to count my blessings and given me a greater appreciation for my family.


Most everyone I've met, though not all, are of a certain age, one might call them senior citizens, but though some may have had more than a few years lining their faces their spirits are young at heart.

Silver and Gold

NS

No comments: