Thursday, January 31, 2008

Nana's Philosophy 101 or Accentuate the positive!

Happy three month birthday to Ty Michael! Today is also his daddy's 31st birthday. In our family we call that the "Golden Birthday" when you are the same age as the day of your birth.
Happy Golden Birthday Jamie!

Yesterday while Michael and Carynn braved the roads to Costco and beyond I had the opportunity of being with Ty Michael. We did the usual- eating (both of us), sleeping (only him since I was "on duty") and spending time together. After Ty woke up and had his mid-afternoon bottle, I rocked him and sang to him. I made up a song called, coincidentally, "Ty Michael." I couldn't tell you where I got the tune from, just in my head, but it's very repetitive. It goes something like this: Ty Michael, Ty Michael is such a handsome boy, is such a loving boy, is such a kind boy, is such an obedient boy, is such a faithful boy, is such an intelligent boy. Ty Michael, Ty Michael, Ty Michael, Ty.

There is a method to my madness regarding my song lyrics. I am of the firm belief that you should tell a child often how wonderful they are, even at a very young age. I have a friend that points out (within their child's hearing) that so and so is a problem child, is so this, is so that. I think that while you must correct a child, you should NEVER point out their faults to someone else at all and especially when that child can overhear them. You should treat them how you want them to be. I believe that while that may sound simplistic it can work to the benefit of all concerned.

I know my parents took time to point out my positive attributes. Even with them "cheerleading" it took me a while to figure out that I was all the good things that they said I was. Imagine if I hadn't had the positive, but instead heard all the things that I didn't do right. I think I might have lived DOWN to their expectations and be really messed up.

So I will continue to sing my Ty Michael song and when more grandchildren come I will make up a song for them too extolling their virtues. I call it Nana's Philosophy 101 or Accentuate the positive!

NS

No comments: