Sunday, April 3, 2011

Zion National Park 2011

We have enjoyed living so close to Zion National Park. It takes us just under an hour to get to it. We usually buy the $25.00 pass that's good for a week and then try to go twice. This year we went on Wednesday, March 23 and Tuesday, March 29.

We had great weather both days. It was cold when we got there on March 23. We decided to do the hike to Angel's Landing. Michael's in better shape than I am so he ended up doing some waiting for me and since he'd stop to take some pictures I'd end up doing some waiting for him so it was all good. The "Walter's Wiggles" switchbacks near the end were crazy! I've never seen anything like them. We stopped our hike before you had to hold on to a chain to finish the last little bit. It was so vertical that we opted to not chance it. The hike back down seemed to take hardly any time at all; probably because it's downhill almost all of the way. Also don't you find that the way back seems shorter since you've already covered that ground and know what's coming? I think so.

After the hike I decided to take a snooze in the back of the car. Michael decided to do some bird watching with the hopes of getting some good photos. He lucked out big time when he got these shots:

This is a blue heron. Michael was happy to get this shot.
After he'd taken it he noticed that their were some ducks in it too.


The heron decided to leave.


The ducks hung around for a while. They're a different breed than we've seen before. They're called "Common Mergansers." Look closely at the duck on the left. That's the female. I wouldn't call her "hair do" common at all!

We left Zion National Park that afternoon and on our way back home we decided to revisit Grafton-a ghost town across the river and a bit of a drive from Rockville. We hadn't been there since 2009. The weather was a whole lot better this visit. The scenery was lovely. Here's a picture of one of the few full-time residents of Grafton:
Can you see him (her) peeking out at you?

On the 29th we decided to stay closer to the river to possibly get some more bird shots. I was on the lookout for birds and didn't notice a rock in the path. As they say, "Have a nice trip. See you next fall!" I did both. Fortunately I still had my gloves on so the only thing injured was my pride. After that I looked at the path AND THEN looked (and listened) for birds.
We also took the river walk as far as we could. The Narrows were closed, but we noticed scores of these cairns made by visitors.



I decided to make one too!

The last trail we went on that day was one we hadn't been on before. It too followed the river. We saw a few birds and Michael took a few pictures too. It's always interesting to see how they turn out. The little bird below is called a Juniper Titmouse.



This new passion of Michael's (bird photography) is contagious! One of the benefits of it is that I'm noticing MORE now. More of the birds and animals around me, more of the beautiful scenery and yes, more of the world. Maybe it's because I've slowed down enough to do so.

Something to think about.
NS

No comments: