Saturday, August 8, 2009

Birthday Time!

Last night Carynn, Jamie, Ty, Melinda and Landan came over to celebrate my birthday a few days early. It was great to see them all. My little guy, Ty, was happy to see his Nana and his Nana was happy to see him too! While we waited to start dinner Michael and Ty went for a walk. They also went for a wagon ride. Yes, it's that ancient yellow wagon from Melinda's childhood. We really DO need to replace it and we will, but it's still working SOMEWHAT well, so we haven't yet.

Ty and I played a little bit downstairs with the toy cars. Yes, we did separate the ones that had doors that opened versus the ones that didn't. He also briefly enjoyed the keyboard and the Bop It game. Then it was time for food. He was looking very grown-up in his shirt from the wedding reception, twill pants and his new shoes (size 5 1/2). Carynn had given him a haircut too. He's growing so quickly. He has quite the vocabulary. I'll have to update it on another posting.

After dinner Melinda and Landan started opening up their wedding gifts. People were very generous....We took a break so we could do my birthday cake and presents. Carynn had made a yummy french vanilla cake with chocolate frosting and caramel and chocolate chunks. I blew out my candles, cut the traditional first slice and opened my gifts. I was excited to get a steamer from Michael. I had been wanting one for a while. It'll be great to have for sewing, etc. Michael was silly...He made sure that I knew (it was on the box) that it was 5 times faster than ironing and came with 2 bonuses (pet/lint brush and upholstery brush). It'll be fun to try out.

The kids went in on my gift and gave me a potpourri of items: 2 blouses, a cute belt, earrings and bracelet, a Ken Follett book and a pint of my FAVORITE ice cream...Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk. I'm excited to try that too.

After cake and ice cream it was time for more present unwrapping. Jamie had already taken Ty home (for bed). Carynn stayed a while to facilitate the unwrapping, then she left too. After they finished unwrapping everything (only one gift has an unknown giver), Melinda and Landan watched the wedding day video. It was great to watch them watch the video and relive their wedding day.

I'm planning on stretching my birthday out until my ACTUAL birthday (Tuesday). It's not so much that I want "stuff," it's that I enjoy being remembered.

Oh, I know I said I'd tell more about the wedding reception, and I will, but not today.

NS

No comments: